Net Worth – June 2007 July 1, 2007Posted by pf in Net Worth Update.
It has been a strange month here. You may have noticed a dearth of postings on my part during these last few weeks. While there has not been any crisis or anything, I had taken some time on a vacation (no computer available) and apparently have also allowed the planned laziness to seep into my writings.
Nontheless, it is time to review the past month’s performance and begin anew. Admittedly, this month has not been especially kind as I am seeing a net decrease in our net worth of ($2,775). While I did not expect returns similar to the last several, I was not anticipating an overall decrease!
Let’s break it down:
NET WORTH FOR JUNE
|2 Mo Ago Apr – 07||Last Month May – 07||This Month Jun – 07||Monthly Change||Monthly Change %|
|Other Real Estate||130,000||130,000||130,000||0||0.00%|
- The big story, of course, is that the stock market did not fare too well this past month. Somewhat interestingly, the net change was only about $600 in the red. However, that includes the contributions I made as well. The silver lining here is that my portfolio suffered less due the adjustments I made in early May (Stock Market Correction: Now?). I’m still very much in a “wait and see” posture right now, but am looking for a significant drop where I’ll have an opportunity to go back to my normal allocations. If I end up feeling like I really come out ahead with this “Sell in May and Go Away” approach, I may take it a bit more seriously the next time around and go to cash instead of just less risky equities. Of course, this is market timing, which doesn’t feel all that great to me as a sustainable strategy, but let’s see how things go.
- Property taxes due -~$6000
- Vacation expenses – $500
- Birthday party – $250
- Overall, a bit discouraging to see a decrease. However, while I have less influence on the month-to-month gyrations of the market, it has given me a splash of cold water as far as continuing to be vigilant about expenses.
- No major events / expenditures upcoming
- Explore increasing life insurance coverage